Sunday, December 26, 2010

Visiting Nan

We got a phone call about a month or so ago from my Mum's family who live in Moama, Victoria letting us know that my Nan (mum's mum) was in a bad way.  I think she is 84 now with one kidney and a heart that's starting to slow down.  She was on all sorts of medication and starting to go down hill fast.  We honestly thought that we need to go down there and say our goodbyes.  So a week ago my Mum, Dad and I went down to see her but the best part before we left was that she had improved greatly!  It was the concoction of medication the doctors were giving her that was to blame.  So we were able to see Nan in a good way.


This is the first time Nan had met Ivy...she loved Nan.



Our timing was really good.  Just a couple of days before we arrived, Nan had permanently moved into a home with carers so we were able to help put her clothes in the cupboard and organise things so it felt a little like home. 


Here Mum is hanging her clothes in her cupboard. 


It was hard seeing Nan in a home.  It was a major reality check that she's old now.  I had to hold back the tears when I saw her walk out with her walker.  Her hair is grey, she's lost a lot of weight and her voice is croaky.  You think your loved ones will never get to this stage and they'll be young forever.  Not that I dwell on it but I think of Nan passing on and her mother, who died when she was a little girl, waiting there for her and the joyful reunion it will be.  I even throw a thought in there that she will be able to give my Lily a huge hug for me too!

I have to admit, I'm a bit of a dork and love family history and hearing all the stories!  So since we were in the town where Mum grew up (until she was 15), she was able to tell me some stories and show me some places. 

This is Mr. McGilray.  Mum used to work for him at a place called The Caribbean where functions and weddings were held.  She was surprised to see him in the same home as Nan.  He is 94 and on this particular day he was quite confused.  Mum doesn't think he seemed to remember her but he convinced me he did! Poor man kept asking for Heather his daughter because he was worried about her.



I was so excited to finally see my mum's side of the family.  The last time I was down here was when I was 13, so its been 16 years!  Sixteen years too long that is!  

On the left of me is my beautiful cousin Bronnie, Troy her partner and her son Kyle (in the black shirt).  On my right is my cousin Brad his son Isaac and his two daughters Ava (in green) and Grace.  I've never met my cousins kids before so that we really great. It was so good to see everyone again and I had a great time catching up....they really are a great bunch of people and I really wished we all lived closer.




Bronnie, Me and Brad



Isaac, Grace and Ivy.  Grace was so good with Ivy, she always held her and took care of her for me.


Little Ava...my buddy!  She was really fun to hang out with.  She always said 'come play with me' and every time I said 'what do you want to play' she had no idea!




Uncle Ken (Mum's brother) and Aunty Di. 
Aunty Di would have to be one of the most selfless people I know.



This is where Mum used to work.  Don't you love how it's still got the old school, retro signage!?  Mum said that when 'Mr Dudley' found out that she was working at the Caribbean as well as Carter's, he got annoyed at her and told her she had to choose and couldn't work at both!  The nerve of that man!  haha...of course she chose Carter's!



Mum showed me where she used to live which was with her grandparents, but the house is no longer there but a few houses down was this one.  It was where Eric and Isabelle Kiely lived.  Eric is my great uncle (my grandfather's uncle).  I love seeing old homes like this.  



Last on the tour was the church where Mum and Dad got married...cute little thing huh!



This rainbow made my day.  Call me crazy but I now know why that guy on youtube got so emotional over that double rainbow!!  Haha!  It was a full one too and SO bright!  I got so excited when I saw it.  Absolutely beautiful!


It was a quick four day trip but I'm so glad I went.  Hopefully in the very near future I can bring the whole family down so they can meet all of my family.

2 comments:

  1. I remember the Christmas of 1994 when we went down to visit Mum's family, what a real treat for you to go down there again and re-visit all those memorable old places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "What does this meeeeeeaaaaaannnn?" Hahaha. That YouTube guy was a classic! Great pic :)

    ReplyDelete